Location: Head Office, Manchester, UK
Position Type: Full-time, permanent
HVPD Ltd has an exciting opportunity, based in our head office in Manchester, UK (although global travel will be required), for a Senior Test Engineer with experience in partial discharge testing.
The role would suit someone looking to work on technically interesting equipment, looking for high earning potential and who would enjoy travelling to countries across the world.
The role may require up to 40% working in the field, including overseas and offshore travel.
Role and Responsibilities
The primary purpose of this position is to provide applied engineering and technical consultation for customers in the areas of partial discharge of power components such as Substations, Transformers, Motors, Large Rotating Apparatus, and Switchgear.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Conducting On-line (& Off-line) Partial Discharge Testing (in addition to other condition-based testing) at customer sites worldwide.
- Recognised as technically knowledgeable in partial discharge. Act as an HVPD ambassador to trade organisations/conferences (i.e. IEEE, PCIC) by presenting papers, case studies and demonstrating equipment.
- Self-management of assigned projects and job cost accountability to perform work within budgeted cost estimates.
- Act as global resource on partial discharge consultation and expert analysis for customers.
- Provide applied engineering and technical consultation in the areas of power systems studies, power quality analysis, installation, startup, maintenance, repair and training.
- Interpret specs and customer inquiries and design technical proposals and pricing for customers as well as customer visits to assist sales.
- Attend customer sites to assist sales visits
- Designing and conducting specialised training for customers
- Mentorship and training of other engineers
Full training on our products and services will be provided.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Degree in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working and applying partial discharge technology
- Strong computer skills
- A keen understanding of the company’s and competitor’s electrical, electronic and mechanical products and services
- A working knowledge of billing and invoicing policies for service.
- Knowledge and practice of safety precautions related to working with electrical and electronic equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide service and represent company interests in developing customer relationships to assure long-term customer satisfaction.
- On-site customer report presentation skills
- Must be legally authorised to work in the United Kingdom and have valid passport that permits overseas travel.
The following are desirable but not essential:
- Experience in evaluating and servicing electrical distribution or control systems.
- A valid and unrestricted driver’s license
- Flexible team player willing to get involved across departments.
- Interest in full life cycle of test and installation project from planning, testing, commissioning to reporting and monitoring.
- Excellent organisation and problem solving skills with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good budgetary skills.
- Excellent team-working and people skills.
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Full training and opportunity to gain external certifications
- Flexible working
- Competitive Salaries
- Annual profit sharing bonus
- Company pension (4% employer contribution)
- EMI Share Options Scheme
- Social Events
- Excellent transport routes
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Eye care Voucher Scheme